What is the Watford Extended Access (WEA) service?
Direct Local Health provides weekday and weekend Extended Access GP appointments and weekend Phlebotomy appointments through the Watford Extended Access (WEA) service. We also provide a Nurses in Hubs service on Saturdays.
- In 2014, we gained funding via the a Prime Minister's Challenge Fund for our innovative ideas.
- Now running across Watford and Three Rivers, all 20 Practices are involved working together to provide these appointments and our federation has developed geographical hubs to deliver services.
- Patients in Watford and Three Rivers can access a local GP at a time suitable for them, and know that the GP has full access to their full notes.
The service is well planned and the feedback from patients and clinicians is excellent. Our take-up rates are 96%.
We were nominated for the NHS 70 Award by our local MP Richard Harrington.
The future - we are using the strengthened relationships built between practices and the geographical hubs formed as a framework for how we wrap community services around our network populations and deliver integrated care - a positive for our patients.
When are WEA appointments available?
- GP appointments - are now available 7 days a week in Watford and Three Rivers.
Weekdays: 18:30-20:00 and 18:30-22:00
Weekends: Saturdays 09:00-13:00 and 15:00-19:00; Sundays 09:00-13:00.
- Phlebotomy appointments - are available at weekends in Watford and Three Rivers.
Weekends: Saturdays 09:00-12:00 and 15:00-18:00; Sundays 09:00-12:00.
- Nurse appointments - are available on Saturdays in Watford and Three Rivers.
Does my GP Practice provide WEA appointments?
Patients registered with a GP practice in either Watford or Three Rivers can now make an appointment to see a GP at the weekend.
To find out if your surgery provides WEA appointments, please go to our 'Patient Information' page. To book an appointment, click through the link to your GP Practice website and speak to a receptionist at your home GP Practice.
Please note: During these appointments your health record may be accessed and viewed by clinical staff other than your GP or a GP at your practice - your consent is requested at the time of appointment booking and at the start of the consultation. Please be assured that your confidentially will be maintained.
For our full Privacy Statement, please see our 'Patient Information' page.